Window : Print
Caprese Salad w/ Homemade Mozzarella,
Homemade Ricotta & Fresh Ceviche
Caprese Salad with Homemade Mozzarella
- 1 quart of organic raw milk
- 1-1.5 cups of whey soured to vinegar-like acidity
- 1 organic small/medium red tomato
- 5 leaves of organic basil
- organic extra virgin olive oil
- celtic sea salt
- black pepper
- organic balsamic vinegar
- Heat up 1 quart of milk to slightly warmer than room temperature.\
- Add whey to milk and stir several times to mix thoroughly
- Once milk starts curdling, let sit for 30 seconds as mixture continues to heat up, this will cause the curds to bond together.
- Keep heating up mixture, making sure it does not get to hot to keep your hand in (roughly 115 degrees Fahrenheit. As you are doing this, try to scoop the curds together so they stick and form into a ball in liquid.
- Once curds are all stuck together, take out of whey, squeeze and stretch as much liquid out as possible. Form into two flat discs. Set aside to drain.
- Slice tomato horizontally into ¼ inch pieces.
- Mince a 1.5 teaspoons of basil and mix with olive oil.
- Alternate slices of tomato with mozzarella, sprinkling salt and dribbling basil/olive oil mixture between each layer.
- Top with rest of basil/olive oil mixture, pinch of black pepper and balsamic vinegar.
- Save remaining whey for next time, simply keep in cool to warm, dark place until it turns into vinegar. Or store in the fridge and use it as a sports drink. Whey is high in protein and contains many enzymes, vitamins and minerals.
Raw Ricotta Recipe
Follow mozzarella recipe, substituting 1 quart of whey for 1.5 cups of whey. Drain through colander. Use as filling for lasagna or cheesecake filling.
Fresh Seafood Ceviche
- ½ lb of Petrale, Grey or any type of Sole
- 1/8 cup organic lemon juice
- 1/8 cup organic limejuice
- 2 small to medium organic tomatoes, small dice
- 1 small red onion, small dice
- 1 medium to large avocado, small to medium dice.
- 3 tablespoons bunch of cilantro, minced
- celtic sea salt
- Cut up sole into ¼ inch pieces, place in bowl with 1/8 cup of lemon juice, and 1/8 cup of limejuice marinate. Set aside.
- Place diced tomatoes, onions and avocados in serving bowl.
- When sole begins to turn white from the lemon/lime juice add to mixture with cilantro and salt to taste.
- Serve in martini class or with chips.